History is about the study of the past and it influences all areas of our lives, shaping our customs, values and community beliefs. It helps pupils understand their heritage and to make sense of the world in which they live.
At Greenfields, we strive to help our children to develop lively and enquiring minds. We try to bring History to life and to promote in our pupils an interest in, and an enthusiasm for, learning about the past.
Aims and Objectives of History at Greenfields:
- To help children develop a sense of chronology.
- To begin to develop an awareness of the nature of historical enquiry and the techniques of historians.
- To develop positive attitudes to exploring the past; foster concern for the historical environment, including the rich historical heritage of the North East region.
- To develop an understanding of how the past was different form the present and how people in the past often had different values and attitudes to ours.
- To stimulate interest in major issues, personalities and events of their own country within a global context.
- To help educate children about the histories of men and women from different cultural, social and ethnic groups.
- To develop an understanding that different levels of human experience are part of the broader heritage of our country.
- To develop and apply a range of skills and techniques appropriate to historical enquiry.
- To involve children in first-hand experiences, practical activities and a variety of resources and artefacts.
- To develop children’s ability to investigate the past and to communicate their findings effectively, using a range of media types.